The John Edward Jones Memorial Award was endowed by the School of Medicine Class of 2012 to honor the memory of their classmate who died in a tragic caving accident during his second year at UVA. It recognizes outstanding medical students entering their third year of medical school who have demonstrated leadership efforts to eliminate health care inequalities and to address the educational, health care and societal needs of minorities. The recipient will also embody John’s traits of compassion, service, and professional excellence.
Each recipient receives $500 in February of the year of award, during the Transition Week bridge to the clinical clerkships at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. There may be multiple recipients in a given year.
To be eligible, the applicant must be:
- A US citizen, permanent resident, or an international student with valid legal F1 status in the United States;
- Committed to exemplifying a healthy work/life balance; and
- Entering the third year of study at the UVA School of Medicine in the year of the award. *
*Students enrolled in combined degree programs (such as MD/PhD) may apply. Application should be made based on entrance to the third year of medical school.
For consideration, applicants must submit the following:
- One official medical school academic transcript;
- Complete biographic information (Name, Address, Class Year, Phone, Email);
- A personal statement, not to exceed two double-spaced pages, assessing the applicant’s leadership efforts in eliminating inequities in medical education and health care for minorities; **
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member; ** and
- Recommendation letter(s) from one or more classmates, discussing the candidate’s commitment to exemplifying the values of kindness, compassion, collaboration, professional excellence, and community-building. **
**All letters and personal statements should be doubled-spaced with one inch margins, using 12 pt, Times New Roman font.
To be considered for this award, the completed application packet must be submitted by NOVEMBER 2 of the applicant’s second year of medical school. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
All application packets must be submitted to:
UVA Medical Alumni Association and Medical School Foundation
c/o Linda Weldon
PO Box 800776
Charlottesville, VA 22908