Posted on: August 4, 2017
Henry Clayton Landon III, MD was born March 8, 1924 in Milledgeville, Georgia, and died July 6, 2017 in Wilmington, NC. He was preceded in death by his parents Henry Clayton Landon, Jr. and Sue Ennis Landon. He is survived by his loving wife, Barbara Sisk Landon, son H. Clayton Landon IV, daughter Helen Landon Terranova, son-in-law Gordon A. Terranova, grand-daughter Sterling Landon Terranova, sister Sue Landon Alfriend and niece Landon Alfriend Dunn.
Hank graduated UVA and UVA Medical School and was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. Hank practiced medicine in North Wilkesboro, NC and served in the Army Medical Corp in Korea in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) unit. After an inter-service transfer to Air Force Medical Corp, he was discharged as a Captain. Hank returned to North Wilkesboro to his private medical practice.
After Hank and Barbara married in 1959, they pursued their mutual interest in the Arts. The Landon Collection exhibited throughout the US and was considered one of the top American Art and Antique collections in the US.
Hank was recognized for his contributions to the Arts. He was the recipient of the Cannon Cup for historic preservation in North Carolina and honored at UVA for the Jeffersonian Ideal. Hank served on the Board of Governors for the Decorative Arts Trust, the Board of Directors of the Mint Museum of Art, the UVA Art Museum Board, Trustee Emeritus of the North Carolina Museum of Art and Founder and past President of Old Wilkes Incorporated. Hank always shared his art because he believed “we are only transient possessors”.
After retiring, Hank and Barbara moved to Plantation Village in Wilmington, NC to be near their beloved Figure Eight Island where he continued to pursue his passion for gardening.
Memorial donations may be made to the Mint Museum of Art (Charlotte, NC), Old Wilkes Incorporated (Wilkesboro, NC) and the North Carolina Museum of Art (Raleigh, NC).
Send condolences to andrewsmortuary.com