Thomas M. Webster, MD

Class Year



Posted on: March 21, 2019

Dr. Thomas Moore Webster, 80, died early Thursday morning at Laughlin Memorial Hospital.

Born Nov. 1, 1938, in Washington, D.C., he graduated Bachelor of Arts, University of Virginia, 1960, where he was a proud member of the Raven Society, and resided “on the Lawn.” He received his Doctor of Medicine at George Washington University, 1964.

In August 1965, he married the love of his life, Sarah Ellen Tredway, in Chatham, Va., and they set off on their adventure in life together.

He served his country as a major in the Army Medic Corps, 10th Special Forces Group Airborne, Bad Tolz Germany, 1966, and in an Arabic translator detachment in the Six Days War. His medical career then carried the couple and their two children to Edinburgh, Scotland, to practice joint surgery at Princess Margaret Rose Orthopedic Hospital and then to general orthopedic practice in Walla Walla, Wash.

The Webster Family moved to Greeneville in 1975, when friend Dr. Walter Chapman invited Dr. Webster to join in practice at the The Greeneville Orthopedic Clinic. These two shared emergency on-call duty for the surrounding area every other night and weekends for years. Through 22 years at the clinic and then into retirement, he was supported by, and kept organized by, a loving, caring team of staff that felt like family.

Dr. Webster found great joy in helping others in his profession as an orthopedic surgeon and caring for his patients with a focus on the highest level of practice. Always keeping abreast of the latest research and techniques available, he maintained a fascination with the wonders of medicine that continued over the years, even into retirement. He was active in sports medicine for years in the community as the game-day doctor for South Greene High School football and volunteered as a research test subject to determine oxygen effects and stress while running on the high elevation slopes of Mt. Everest.

He enjoyed long distance marathon running (back in the ‘70s before it was cool), classical music on Saturdays, great food and venturing out on waterfowl hunting trips around the country with friends and family. Most recently he found the greatest joy in his life in keeping up with the latest news from his two grandsons.

Dr. Webster was a friend to many in the community and he shared good jokes, kind words and smiles every day. He was a loving husband and caring father and grandfather and kept strong ties with a large family group. He loved the community, and they loved him back.

Never one to complain, always determined and quick to jump up with a strong heart and optimism if he fell in a race, he has now crossed the finish line of life victorious and is waiting on the rest of his family.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to donor’s choice of the Diabetes Foundation or Metropolitan Opera.