Student Awards, Funds and Reimbursements
The UVA Medical Alumni Association and Medical School Foundation has several awards and funds available to medical students at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. They include:
- Maxwell C. Feinman, MD, Class of 1954 Community Service Award: Established by the Class of 1954 and presented annually to a fourth year UVA medical student who has performed outstanding community service in the Charlottesville area, including surrounding counties. Determination of the award recipient is based on the quantity and quality of service and the student’s impact on the community. The award is presented each year at graduation. Learn more.
- Class of 1967 Joseph F. Smiddy, MD Altruism Award: The Class of 1967 established this award in recognition of the lifelong service of their classmate, Joseph F. Smiddy, MD. Beginning in 2020, the award will be presented to a fourth-year medical student who has demonstrated selfless service to the medically underserved. Recipients will be chosen for displaying reasonable self-sacrifice and generosity in serving others. Learn more.
- Class of 2012 John Edward Jones Memorial Award: The John Edward Jones Memorial Award was endowed by the School of Medicine Class of 2012 to honor the memory of their classmate who died in a tragic caving accident during his second year at UVA. Learn more.
- Reed Fund for Psychiatric Care: Funds are available for any medical student in need of outpatient psychiatric care. This service is provided at no cost and is strictly confidential. Learn more.
Current medical students may be eligible to receive reimbursements for conference-related expenses as well as travel to/from the UVA Medical Center after hours.
- Conference Expense Reimbursement Request: Current UVA medical students may apply for need-based (as defined by the Financial Aid Office) reimbursement of expenses up to a maximum of $500 related to attending medical conferences. These reimbursements will be provided by the UVA Medical Alumni Association and Medical School Foundation. Reimbursements will be reported to the School of Medicine’s Office of Financial Aid and included in financial aid packages. Learn more or apply here.
- Medical Student Safe Travel Reimbursement: The UVA Medical Alumni Association will provide reimbursements to any medical student who needs to travel from home to the UVA Medical Center prior to the first run of the UTS inner loop at 7:30 a.m. Learn more or apply here.