Gifts to the Annual Fund support a wide array of events and services for the students, alumni, housestaff and faculty of the UVA School of Medicine, such as:
Financial Assistance: The UVA Medical Alumni Association and Medical School Foundation provides financial assistance to students in a variety of ways. This includes conference expense reimbursement that helps students attend medical conferences and gain valuable career experience. In addition, the Global Health Initiative offers financial support to students participating in electives which provide service abroad to communities in need. We also provide student scholarships and interest-free emergency loans to students.
Programs and Events: Thanks to the Annual Fund and support from the Class of 1963, incoming MD students now receive a stethoscope as a gift from alumni during the annual Brodie Gateway Dinner. Alumni support also makes more than 50 programs and events possible for students and housestaff each year. They include:
- The White Coat Ceremony (endowed by the Class of 1965 and presented by the UVA Medical Alumni Association)
- BIMS Lab Coat Ceremony
- Match Day breakfast
- Graduation celebrations
- Family Day
- Contract Negotiation Seminar for Housestaff
- Lipscomb Lectureship
- Medical Student Activities Fair
- Second Look recruiting program for medical students
- Second Look recruiting program for residents
- Student Clinician and Awards Ceremony for second-year students
- Specialty conference registration and travel reimbursements for medical students
- Department Reunions and Reception
- Student Alumni Networking events supporting underrepresented in medicine (URM) students
Alumni events include the annual Medical School Reunion Weekend, regional alumni events, as well as newer events such as Black Medical Alumni Weekend and Recent Grads Weekend.
Visit our Events page to see what events are coming up.
Student and Alumni Networking: Provided through the Host Program, UVA MedConnect networking panels, Student-Alumni Mentoring Program, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
News and Information: The semi-annual University of Virginia School of Medicine Virginia Medicine magazine is available online and in print, and its companion e-newsletter offers the latest news every other month.
Every gift counts. The Annual Fund is cumulative, so every dollar of support adds up to meaningful events, services, and scholarships. Will you make a gift now?