Virginia Medicine January 2022
2022 Event Updates
While we continue to keep a close eye on COVID-related safety protocols and recommendations, the UVA Medical Alumni Association is moving forward with plans for spring events, including rescheduled class reunions and the inaugural Black Medical Alumni Weekend. Please see our Events Calendar for additional details about these and other events:
- Class of 1966 Reunion: March 29-31
- Class of 1981 Reunion Weekend: April 1-3
- Black Medical Alumni Weekend: April 8-10
- Classes of 1996 and 2001 Reunion Weekend: April 22-24
- Medical School Reunion Weekend: April 29-May 1 (Classes of 1957, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1982, 1987, 1992, 1997, and 2002, plus rescheduled milestone reunions for Classes of 1965, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1980, 1986 and 1990)
Events are subject to change. Future event announcements will be sent via email. You can update your contact information here.
William (“Bill”) Richard Drucker, MD passed away on December 10, 2021. A former surgeon and authority on shock and trauma, he was the dean of the University of Virginia School of Medicine from 1972-1977. Read a tribute to Dr. Drucker, as well as memorial tributes to alumni, housestaff, and faculty of the School of Medicine here.
School of Medicine News
Tracy M. Downs, MD, FACS, has been named the UVA School of Medicine’s inaugural senior associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Last July, Downs came to UVA from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, where he was associate dean for diversity and multicultural affairs and professor of urologic oncology. MORE
Sherita Hill Golden, MD ’94, MHS, has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) as one of its newest members. NAM announced 90 new regular members and 10 international members during its 2021 annual meeting. MORE