Vitals Spring 2019
Our latest issue of Vitals is available now. In this issue:
- Play Ball – When an athlete gets injured, it can impact not just their own health but their team’s ability to complete. That’s why coaches like Brian O’Connor are glad to have the expertise and experience of UVA’s Sports Medicine team to provide day-to-day care of student athletes.
- Moving the Needle – Despite effective screening tools and the HPV vaccine, the incidence and mortality rates for cervical cancer have remained largely unchanged over the last 15 years. UVA physicians and scientists are working hard to move the needle on this disease. Could it soon be eliminated?
- Doctor Hoo – Read about Dwight Holland, MD ’08, PhD, who describes his cross-cutting career as that of a “warrior-scientist.”
- Housestaff Spotlight – We catch up with married alumni Taryn Hassinger, MD ’14, and Ben Contrella, MD ’14, who are now both UVA residents.
- Grand Rounds – Highlights from the UVA Health System and School of Medicine.
- News from the UVA Medical Alumni Association – Includes photos from Match Day 2019, the BIMS Lab Coat Ceremony, and the 2018 Alumni Awards.
The Spring 2019 issue is available online now. Read it on your computer or tablet today. You can opt-in to the printed version of future issues or view past issues of Vitals here.