Virginia Medicine January 2024
Honors for the Class of 2026
The Class of 2026 and faculty of the University of Virginia School of Medicine gathered for the Student Clinician and Awards Ceremony on December 15. The annual event marks the completion of the pre-clerkship part of the medical school curriculum.
During the ceremony, the Class of 2012 John Edward Jones Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Laiba Murad. This scholarship recognizes outstanding medical students entering their third year of medical school who have demonstrated leadership efforts to eliminate health care inequalities and to address the educational, health care and societal needs of minorities in the US.
Congratulations to all of this year’s student and faculty honorees!
2024 Reunion Weekend
This year’s event is April 26-28, and we look forward to welcoming back MD alumni from the classes of 1959, 1969, 1974, 1979, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1999 and 2004 for their milestone reunions. Registration for Reunion Weekend will open in February, but you can book your hotel now. MORE
Year in Review
Dean Melina Kibbe, MD, has announced two new department chairs at the UVA School of Medicine: cancer biology researcher Lu Q. Le, MD, PhD, will chair UVA’s Department of Dermatology, and corneal transplant leader Albert S. Jun, MD, PhD, has been appointed chair of the Department of Ophthalmology. MORE
Horsley Memorial Prize
April 15 is the deadline for the 2024 John Horsley Memorial Prize, which recognizes an investigation carried out in the lab, clinic, or in private practice by a recent graduate of the UVA School of Medicine or current UVA housestaff and includes a $5,000 cash prize. MORE
Renata Arrington Sanders, MD, ’00, MPH, ScM, is the new chief of the Craig Dalsimer Division of Adolescent Medicine at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). Sanders is also a professor of pediatrics at the Perelman School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania. MORE
- Lung Transplant Discovery Could Prevent Major Cause of Deaths
- Healthy Omega-3 Fats May Slow Deadly Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Alzheimer’s Discovery Reveals Dire Effect of Toxic Tau Protein
Keep up to date with other happenings at the School of Medicine:
- Check out our companion print magazine, Virginia Medicine, including the Fall 2023 edition
- Subscribe to Medicine in Motion, an online publication from the Office of Dean Melina Kibbe, MD
- Receive updates directly from the student leaders of the Student National Medical Association (SNMA) by signing up for the SNMA Alumni Listserv