Virginia Medicine September 2022
The UVA Medical Alumni Association is pleased to announce the recipients of the following 2022 Awards:
- Walter Reed Distinguished Achievement Award: James E. (Jef) Ferguson, II, MD, MBA
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Biomedical Sciences: Stephen Waggoner, PhD ’07
- MD Early Achievement Award: Jennifer Kawwass, MD ’07
- Early Achievement Award in Biomedical Sciences: Nima Mosammaparast, MD ’06, PhD ’05
- Humanitarian Award: Richard MacKay, MD ’73
- Outstanding Medical Alumnus Award: Patrick J. McManus, MD ’85
You can click on the links above to learn more about this year’s award recipients. Award presentations will be made in the spring of 2023.
Nominations for the 2023 Alumni Awards will open in May 2023.
On August 12, the UVA Medical Alumni Association proudly presented the 2022 White Coat Ceremony and Convocation, endowed by the Class of 1965. This milestone event was attended by 151 medical students, School of Medicine faculty, and the families and friends of SMD’26 students. MORE
We currently have more than 20 events on our calendar, ranging from department receptions to 2023 reunion activities like the 2023 Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program Reunion (March 24-26) and Medical School Reunion Weekend (April 28-30). Check out our calendar online. MORE
Joseph Gascho, MD ’73, is the recipient of the 2022 Distinguished Service Award from Eastern Mennonite University for his contributions to both science and art. Have personal or professional news to share? Send us a Class Note. MORE
- Gut Discovery Could Have Big Benefits for Human Health
- Organ-Development Discovery to Boost Battle Against Cancer
- Eczema Treatment Cuts Risk of Death From COVID-19
Also, be sure to check out Medicine in Motion, an online publication from the Office of Dean Melina Kibbe, MD, of the UVA School of Medicine.