Virginia Medicine November 2023
Fall Alumni Celebrations
In September, the UVA Medical Alumni Association hosted Fall Alumni Weekend. During the event, the Classes of 2008, 2013, and 2018 celebrated their milestone reunions. They were joined by alumni from the Class of 2001 and board members from the UVA Medical Alumni Association and Medical School Foundation.
The weekend’s activities included an All Alumni Tailgate prior to the UVA vs. NC State Football Game; a student-alumni networking event; an afternoon at a local vineyard; and milestone reunion dinners. You can view photos from the weekend here.
Learn about upcoming events for alumni and former trainees here.
2023 Bowman Scholars
Congratulations to this year’s Bowman Scholars: Jack D. Lawton, Micayla Menchel, Elizabeth Wat, Simon W. White, and Abigail M. Williams. Lawton was selected as the 2023 Bowman Award recipient. Each year since 1978, the Bowman Award has been presented to a fourth-year medical student at UVA in memory of Dick Bowman, MD ’74. MORE
Year in Review
The University of Virginia School of Medicine 2023 Annual Report has been published with an update on UVA’s mission to transform health and inspire hope for all Virginians and beyond. You can view the report, and find a link to watch Dean Kibbe’s 2023 State of the School Address, online. MORE
Horsley Memorial Prize
April 15 is the deadline for the 2024 John Horsley Memorial Prize, which recognizes an investigation carried out in the lab, clinic, or in private practice by a recent graduate of the UVA School of Medicine or current UVA housestaff and includes a $5,000 cash prize. MORE
Colin Derdeyn, MD ’88, a national leader, clinician, and pioneer in advancing stroke care, has been appointed chair of UVA’s Department of Radiology and Medical Imaging, beginning January 2, 2024. Learn more and share your news in Class Notes. MORE
- Precision Medicine Transforming Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment
- The Secret to Better Cancer Care Could Already Be on Your Wrist
- Menopause’s Effects on the Workplace, and Other Surprising Impacts
Keep up to date with other happenings at the School of Medicine:
- Check out our companion print magazine, Virginia Medicine, including the Fall 2023 edition
- Subscribe to Medicine in Motion, an online publication from the Office of Dean Melina Kibbe, MD
- Receive updates directly from the student leaders of the Student National Medical Association (SNMA) by signing up for the SNMA Alumni Listserv